Sunday, May 9, 2010

Asparagus!!!!

Spring is here...and that means asparagus is, too. I like to pick my own asparagus. If you haven't done this, you must. Asparagus is a perennial, so it just keeps returning and growing in a random fashion. You just find mature stalks and snap them right there...and you can eat asparagus raw right out of the ground. It's so tender and sweet!

I made a fritatta out of some of my asparagus. There are no pictures, but it was yummy...mushrooms, asparagus, and eggs. What's not to love?

Anyway, here's what the asparagus looked like in its natural habitat.


And here's what it looked like when I was finished with it.


You might notice that the sesame seeds are missing. That's because I toasted them separately (not with the tofu, as directed). I added them at the end, after I took this photo. I did take photos, but I didn't like any of them, so you don't get to see them.


Sesame Tofu Stir-Fry over Rice - from Cooking Light

1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 (1-pound) package firm or extrafirm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 teaspoons peanut oil
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
Cooking spray
4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3/4 pound)
3 cups (2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice

Combine sesame seeds and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the tofu cubes; toss gently to coat. Combine oils in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu; stir-fry 5 minutes or until tofu is golden. Remove tofu from pan; keep warm.

Return pan to heat; coat with cooking spray. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add asparagus; stir-fry 4 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Reduce heat to medium; stir in green onions.

Combine broth and next 4 ingredients (broth through garlic sauce). Add broth mixture to pan; remove from heat (sauce will thicken). Add tofu and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss gently to combine. Serve over rice.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, tofu and asparagus stir fry... So tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I make a request? Sometime I would love to see a feature on Chinese black bean sauce. I've never had it but would love to read about what it's like and how to make it!

    ReplyDelete